GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/nikosarg/public_html/modules/mod_random_image/helper.php on line 85
zografou.jpg

Transalate



Επισκέπτες Online

We have 23 guests online

Φωτογραφίες Μονής

Monastery Zografou

This Bulgarian cenobetic abbey was built 160 meters above sea level. It is situated in a forest near a ravine, an hour away from the coast. It is said that the abbey was built during the years of Leontos Sophou, in the 9th century, by the brothers Moses, John and Aaron from Ahrida. It was called abbey of St. George the painter. At the third ritual of Aghion Oros, the abbey comes in the 10th place among the abbeys of Aghion Oros. In the 13th century it must have had Bulgarian monks because it also was called abbey of the Bulgarians. In the same period, the abbey was funded by Michael Paleologos the Eighth. At the beginning of the 14th century, the abbey was burned by the Catalans and they tortured many monks. In the period of the disputes between those who wanted the unity of the Catholic and Orthodox churches and those who didn’t the monks vigorously opposed to the union. As a result, the followers of the idea of unity, burned 26 monks in the abbey’s tower. There, in 1873, the monks raised a cenotaph for these fearless faithfulls. The abbey received many benefits from Andronicos Paleologos the second, Andronicos Paleologos the third and John as well as from the Kings of Serbia, Moldavia and Wallachia. In 1502, after it was deserted, the King of Moldavia and Wallachia Stephen the sixth Kalos, renovated it.

In 1716, the abbey’s east wing was repaired and in the period 1862-1896 the north and the west side of the abbey were built. Earlier, there were at the abbey Serbian, Bulgarian and Greek monks, therefore the divine services were conducted both in Greek and the Bulgarian language. Since 1845, the Bulgarians outnumber the other monks of this abbey which is a cenobetic one since 1850.

The new main temple was built in 1801 and its wallpaintings were painted in 1817. The reredos and the altar are made of wood and they are excellently sculptured. Three of the 14 chapels which belong to the abbey have icons. The library which is situated in the tower contains 550 handwritten codes.

Of these, 162 are in the Greek language and 388 in the Slavonian. It also contains 16.500 prints. The treasure collection consists of relics of saints, sacerdotal vestments, liturgical objects, icons that perfom miracles, historical documents and others. In the 18th century, in this same abbey lived monk Paesios, historian of the Bulgarian history. At the same area we can see the hut where Cosmas the Aetolean lived a monastic life.